Setting up taxes in WooCommerce as a new business can be tricky.
Businesses should register as a provincial sales tax vendor with each of the provinces where they will be doing business, then collect and remit the sales taxes accordingly.
In Canada, you charge tax based on the shipping destination of the product.
Example 1: If you are an online business in Ontario, selling to a person in Ontario, you charge 13% HST.
Example 2: If you are an online business in Ontario, selling to a person in Alberta, you charge 5% GST.
Businesses selling goods or services to customers in separate provinces that use the HST must charge the HST rates of the shipping destination.
Alberta, the Northwest Territories, Nunavut, and Yukon have no PSTs, so businesses charge only the 5% GST
You can import these taxes into WooCommerce using the following steps:
- Download this CSV (https://www.368durham.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/01/taxratesCA.csv)
- Sign into WordPress.
- Go to WooCommerce and click on Settings.
- Select the Tax tab and click on Standard Rates.
- Click on Import CSV.
- Click Choose File and select your local . csv file.
- Click Upload file and import.